Here are some no-fuss tricks to try when you want to do some spot cleaning.
- To clean stained or natural-finish woodwork, put a tea bag in hot water and let it cool. Then dampen your cleaning rag or sponge with the cooled tea and run it over the woodwork.
- To clean blinds, which can get filmy with dust, wipe the slats with a cloth dampened with vinegar, which sanitizes as it cleans. This is a good trick for chandeliers, too.
- To remove dust, lint, or hair from furniture or an item of clothing, wrap masking tape around your hand and then press your hand over the surface of the item. Unwanted fuzz, dust, or lint will stick to the masking tape.
- To get rid of all the dust trapped in a pleated lampshade, use a small,. medium bristled paintbrush. This works for figurines, too.
- To give freshly dusted furniture a pretty sheen, mix 1/2 teaspoon of light olive oil ( not dark) in 1 quart of water. Apply with a clean rag.
All of the above tips are espoused by a renown 40+ year old Residential Cleaning Service in Evanston, Il and are in 2,001 amazing Cleaning secrets by Jeff Bredenberg.